WOMEN’S GIVING CIRCLE AWARDS $25,956 TO NINE LOCAL ORGANIZATIONS
MADISON, IN – The membership of the Women’s Giving Circle of Jefferson County (WGCJC) voted to grant $25,956 to nine organizations with programs and projects benefitting women and children in Jefferson County. Grants are awarded using money collected from membership dues and donations made in 2022, as well as the annual available amount from the Women’s Giving Circle Endowment in Memory of Bonnie Hare. Awards are made to qualifying 501(c)3 organizations that apply through the annual WGCJC competitive grants cycle and have a project and/or program that impacts one of four fields of interest: Education, Economic Empowerment, Physical & Mental Health, and Violence & Crime Prevention.
The nine organizations are:
• CASA of Jefferson County – to support the Recruitment, Training, and Retention project
• Children’s Advocacy Center of Southeastern Indiana, Inc. – to support the Madison Consolidated Schools Prevention Education program
• Dupont Community Park Committee/Dupont Town Board – to support the creation nof the Dupont Playground/Park
• The Freedom Center, LLC – to purchase furniture for the therapy office
• Habitat for Humanity of Southeast Indiana – to support the Clifty Woods Subdivision affordable housing project
• Hanover Community Garden – to support the Connecting Youth to Nature and Nutrition program
• Hanover Happy Holidays – to provide books for distribution to youth attending the Holly Jolly Santa celebration
• Jefferson County House of Hope – to support the School Backpack Food project
• Prince of Peace Catholic Schools – to provide a fence around the preschool playground
The Women’s Giving Circle is a group of philanthropic-minded women of all ages, means, and backgrounds who combine their financial strength to make a positive change for the women and children of Jefferson County. Annual membership to the WGCJC is a $100 tax-deductible contribution. Junior memberships are $50 and open to girls ages 18 and under. Of the $100 annual donation, $75 goes in a fund for the annual grant cycle and $25 is placed in an endowment fund for future granting. The junior membership is split $25/$25. Assets of the WGCJC are held and maintained at the Community Foundation of Madison & Jefferson County.
Representatives of the nine 2022 Women’s Giving Circle Grant Cycle recipient organizations met on April 28, 2023 at the Community Foundation office to celebrate and accept their awards. Pictured are: Row 1 (from left): John Bush-Jefferson County House of Hope, Jessica Whitham-Children’s Advocacy Center of Southeastern Indiana, Liz Cooper-The Freedom Center, Amy Ralston-Prince of Peace Catholic Schools, Barb Ford-Hanover Community Garden Row 2: Cheryl Patton-Dupont Playgroun/Park, Shelby Wilson-Habitat for Humanity of Southeast Indiana, Whitney Roberts & Brenda Holbrook-CASA of Jefferson County Row 3: Dawn Jines-Dupont Playground/Park, Megan Varble-Hanover Happy Holidays, Amanda Thompson-Habitat for Humanity of Southeast Indiana Row 4: Women’s Guiding Circle Members Lynn Maricle, Jean Herron, Kathy Crafton, and Leah James.